- 6061-T6 machined aluminum frame with forged side plates.
- 17-4 grade stainless steel gearing.
- Helical cut gears for increased torque, smoothness and improved gear meshing.
- Makaira reels all feature two-speed gearing systems.
- Gold anodized two-speed gear shifter housing.
- Cold forged, Type-II anodized, machined aluminum spool.
- CRC: Corrosion Resistant Coating process.
- Patented spool pin system for use with braided or mono lines.
- Carbonite Dual Force drag system featuring Cal’s universal drag grease.
- Custom designed thrust bearing: Alleviates side load on heavy drag settings.
- 4-pcs ABEC-5 precision Sapporo stainless steel ball bearings.
- MK-80WII features 6-pcs of Sapporo ball bearings.
- Double-dog, proprietary silent anti-reverse system.
- Ratcheting drag lever and pre-set knob for precise drag setting.
- Patented T-Bar handle with Easy Roll graphite insert on all models.
- Heavy duty stainless steel ratcheting clicker system.
- Heavy duty, 17-4 grade stainless steel drive and spool shafts.
- Type-II gold anodized frame, sideplates, spool, drag lever and handle.
- Open top frame design on MK-8II,10II, 15II,16II, 20II, and 50II.
- Lug and plug system on all open top reel models.
- Machined thumb rest on rear cross bar for improved ergonomics.
- Forged aluminum full hard anodized reel foot and reel clamp.
- Machine-etched marlin logo on left side plate.
- Precision placement of drain holes maximizes water removal from reel.
- Special screw ports around side plate screws reduces water / corrosion buildup.
Machined Rigid Frame
Okuma’s Machined Rigid Frame construction incorporates a one-piece fully-machined aluminum frame. These rigid bar-stock aluminum frames are the ultimate in precision alignment and tolerances withstanding more pressure and torque than any other material used in our industry for frame materials. Okuma features these anodized frames on fly reels, baitcast reels, lever drag reels and star drag trolling reels.
The patented design of the T-Bar handle offers a true ergonomically correct angle to ensure an angler gets maximum power with minimum fatigue. The T-bar takes full advantage of the natural dynamics of the human hand, wrist and forearm to help sustain power and endurance for the angler.
Okuma’s 2-speed technology incorporates two sets of stainless steel main and pinion gears, allowing anglers the option of a high-speed gear ratio or a powerful low-speed gear ratio for maximum power and torque. To shift gears it is as easy as pushing a button or popping a lever with Okuma’s unique shifting design to obtain the appropriate gear ratio you desire.
Lever Drag Dual Force Drag
For extremely smooth and strong drag outputs, Okuma’s Makaira lever drags are designed with a patented Dual Force Drag system. This drag system is specifically engineered to be mounted in the right side of the spool, designed around a Pull Bar Drag System which keeps all mechanical workings in precise alignment and places no pressure on the frame. This system works in conjunction with a custom designed thrust bearing, which alleviates side load at heavy drag settings.
Helial Cut Gearing
Makaira lever drag reels utilize helical cut main and pinion gears. This process allows for improved gear meshing which equates to improved gear smoothness. The angled teeth found in helical cut gears engage more gradually than straight cut or spur gear teeth. This allows helical gears to run smoother and quieter compared to spur gears. Spur gears cause impact stress and noise, because of the hard meshing and can not take as much torque as helical gears because their teeth are receiving impact blows as they mesh together.
The Makaira’s proprietary anti-reverse system allows for a smoother and quieter feeling. We equate this feeling to that of a Lexus, when compared to other reels in the market. Most reels in the market hide their rough gear quality by the noise and vibration caused by the engagement and clacking of the anti-reverse pawls. The Okuma silent system is unlike any other 2-speed reel in the industry for smoothness. This anti-reverse system is supported by a 12 point double dog anti-reverse pawl system. The Makaira system is very simple in principal but the performance is extremely advanced. As you turn the reel forward the anti-reverse pawls slide open allowing a friction free and quiet retrieve. As soon as the handle is stopped or pulled backwards the anti-reverse pawls are engaged into place by their drive shaft actuated sliding system. The strength of this anti-reverse system does not solely rely on a dog spring like found on most of our competitors reels. The sliding function does not rely heavily on a dog spring system and is mainly controlled by the forward and reverse movement applied to the drive shaft through the movement of the angler turning the handle.
Corrosion Resistant Coating
Corrosion Resistant Coating combines Okuma’s proprietary HDG-II gearing system, which offers exceptional anti-corrosive properties compared to standard gears, with a coating of Corrosion X HD to all internal and external parts. The CRC process actually penetrates and bonds to the metal, which helps significantly toward long term protection.
|Model||Gear Ratios||Weight||Line Retrieve||Mono Line Capacity||Max Drag|
(Strike / Full)
|MK-30II||3.8:1 & 1.7:1||50.0 oz||39.4″ & 17.5″||850 yds/30# (0.55 mm)|
700 yds/40# (0.60 mm)
550 yds/50# (0.70 mm)
|37 lbs / 55 lbs||Crossbar|
|MK-50WII||3.2:1 & 1.3:1||65.0 oz||37.8″ & 15.3″||900 yds/50# (0.70 mm)|
780 yds/60# (0.75 mm)
560 yds/80# (0.90 mm)
|60 lbs / 85 lbs||Crossbar|
|MK-80WII||3.1:1 & 1.2:1||116.0 oz||45.7″ & 20.5″||1000 yds/80# (0.90 mm)|
850 yds/100# (1.0 mm)
660 yds/130# (1.12 mm)
|70 lbs / 100 lbs||Crossbar|